Dental veneers are a common recommendation for people with chipped, discolored, or misaligned teeth. The veneers bond to the teeth and can help correct imperfections. If you are considering veneers, here are the pros and cons for you to consider.
Dental veneers are available in a wide range of shades. This means that your dentist will be able to find the right shade to match your other teeth, which will mask the fact that you have had dental work done.
In addition to this benefit, veneers have other advantages, including:
- Stain resistant. Most veneers are composed of porcelain, which is resistant to foods and beverages. As a result, you do not have to worry about discoloration of your veneers.
- Decreased infections. Due to the surface of the dental veneers, harmful bacteria are less likely to stick to your teeth, which means a reduced risk of dental infections.
- Natural looking. Veneers have a more natural look than other treatment options to repair your teeth. The makeup of the teeth causes them to shine just like your own teeth.
Veneers are also a good option to close gaps that are in your teeth. The cosmetic change to your teeth can be good for your self-esteem overall.
Even though there are a lot of good reasons for getting dental veneers, there are some cons you should know. For instance, the process can be expensive. Fortunately, insurance can usually help cover the cost if your dentist believes it to be medically necessary.
There are other disadvantages, including:
- Increased sensitivity. Some experience a heightened sensitivity after the procedure. The use of special toothpastes and mouth rinses can help combat this.
- Irreversible. The procedure is irreversible. Before undergoing the procedure, talk to your dentist more about the benefits to ensure veneers are right for you.
- Needs to be replaced. Veneers do not last a lifetime. Even with good care, they only last five to 10 years.
One con that is unavoidable is that some are not even eligible for having them. If your teeth are weakened or decayed, your dentist might recommend a different procedure to help correct your dental problems.
Dental veneers are undetectable by others and a great way to improve your smile with a total cosmetic reconstruction of your teeth and gums. Whether or not you have concerns, it is important that you talk over the dental procedure thoroughly with your dentist before undergoing it.
For more information, contact Virginia Crown and Bridge or a similar location.