What To Do When Your Child Has A Toothache

When your child is in pain from a toothache, it can be a worrisome event for a parent. Toothaches usually indicate that there is some type of problem with their tooth. The pain can be caused by a cavity, a fracture in the tooth and even by an infected tooth. In most cases, you want to get your child in to see the dentist as soon as possible. However, you want to follow some of the tips below to alleviate the problem or to help them feel better until you can get them in.

Check for food stuck between their teeth: Sometimes a toothache can be caused by food stuck between your child's teeth. Take a flashlight and look at the tooth that's bothering them. If you see any signs that food may be trapped between their teeth, you want to use some floss to remove it. If this is the problem, then your child will feel better and there will be no reason to take them in to the dentist.  

Have them use warm salt water: Have your child rinse their mouth out with warm salt water. To make the mixture, heat some water so it's warm. Add a teaspoon of table salt in the water and mix it well. Instruct your child to swish the solution around in their mouth and spit it out. The salt helps by absorbing the water in the tissue around the tooth, causing inflammation to tame down. Removing this moisture can also help kill bacteria and this may help stop the spread of any infection.

Give an over-the-counter pain reducer: If your child is over two years of age, you can give them a children's over-the-counter pain reducer. Always follow the dosing instructions on the bottle carefully and don't mix medications.

Use an ice pack: Wrap an ice pack in a towel and hold it against your child's cheek, on the same spot where their tooth is hurting. You should keep the ice on for short intervals a couple of times an hour.

As soon as you can get your child into the dentist, like Richard L. Myers, DDS, take them in with a list of what you have done for them. This way, the dentist will be aware of the steps taken, as well as any medication your child has been given. The dentist can treat the problem, and both you and your child will feel much better.